Monday, May 30, 2016

Can We Love Him More?

Ciao everybody! 

This week was a good one! Not a lot went as planned, as usual, but things still went! On last PDAy we were at the beach for a little bit enjoying that freedom while it lasts, and a bird decided that I was going to be its next target. As in I felt something very cool and refreshing slap down on the right side of my neck... Luckily it didn't get in my hair. But you know what, it made me realize that that attitude of "come what may and love it" really helps you out on a mission and just when things are hard or strange in general. Luckily i have never been pooped on by a bird before, and so maybe it was a one time deal. Plus they say it's good luck here, so maybe it balanced out the bad luck of me breaking a plate that same morning. 

Also, while we are on the subject of breaking things, I went into our bathroom yesterday morning and was reaching to open the window when I tripped on a flip flop and barely tapped our scale and it literally burst into a thousand obliterating pieces.. If that wasn't a fat joke I don't know what is, really. 

Other than breaking things and nature playing its part in life, this week was lovely. We got to see Elly (grocery store miracle) twice this week and she is just amazing. She came to church again yesterday, and the gospel principles lesson was on baptism and she was loving it! She asked some really good questions and basically I have complete faith she is going to be a golden member here shortly. 

On the other hand, the one with the bap date I spoke of last week has now sort of fallen off the cliff of uncertainty and she doesn't think she wants to be baptized anymore. So that's disappointing but we are going to try to still work with her. 

We are going to Rome for PDAy today because Slla Holiday's trainer, Slla Battezato, is going home this week. And also, because Roma is beautiful and my dream city. So watch out for some lovely pictures next week. 

Allora. I was reading the talk "Yielding Our Hearts to God" from a few conferences ago. I think I'm going through a general conference obsessed phase, haha. But they are all just too GOOD! This one is amazing. I love it so much. But I just wanted to share a small part with you. 

I have struggled to banish the mortal desire to have things my way, eventually realizing that my way is oh so lacking, limited, and inferior to the way of Jesus Christ. “His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come.” Can we love Jesus Christ and His way more than we love ourselves and our own agenda?
Some may think they have failed too many times and feel too weak to change sinful acts or worldly desires of the heart. However, as covenant Israel, we don’t just try and try on our own to change. If we earnestly appeal to God, He takes us as we are--and makes us more than we ever imagined. Noted theologian Robert L. Millet writes of “a healthy longing to improve,” balanced with the spiritual “assurance that in and through Jesus Christ we are going to make it.” With such an understanding, we can honestly say to Heavenly Father:

So trusting my all to thy tender care,


And knowing thou lovest me,


I’ll do thy will with a heart sincere:


I’ll be what you want me to be.
When we offer our broken heart to Jesus Christ, He accepts our offering. He takes us back. No matter what losses, wounds, and rejection we have suffered, His grace and healing are mightier than all. Truly yoked to the Savior, we can say with confidence, “It will all work out.” In the name of Jesus Christ, amen. -Neill F. Marriott, Oct 2015

I love that! I think that is what I am learning most here, is that God has a plan, a literal blueprint for each of us. And if we follow him and his Son, Jesus Christ, we can return home with a strong foundation.  But, another phrase from another talk I love says: 

Heavenly Father knows our divine potential. He rejoices every time we take a step forward. To Him, our direction is ever more important than our speed. Be persistent, brothers and sisters, but never be discouraged. We will have to go beyond the grave before we actually reach perfection, but here in mortality we can lay the foundation. “It is our duty to be better today than we were yesterday, and better tomorrow than we are today.”- Elder Larry R. Lawrence, Oct 2015 "What Lack I Yet?" 

I love that. Because we aren't going to be perfect here, ever. But we can begin to be. We can try to become complete. That is what our Father in Heaven is, he is complete, and that is what perfection is. Is being absolutely completely. I don't know about you, but I'd like to be complete someday! 

I love being a missionary! It is really quite hard always, but the joy I've felt here makes all the hard times worth it a million times over. I've seen in people's eyes their desire to know the truth, and their desire to know God loves them. And I've seen those eyes light up when the spirit touches their hearts and their prayers are answered and they know it is true, every inch. But I've also seen them crumble in doubt or fear, and I myself have done the same. But don't give up. Fear and doubt are real, and they happen, but don't lose hope. Always remember something better is coming. Something better will come, if we just hold on and believe. Stay in the boat, okay? 

I love you all and I miss you. Remember to keep trying and keep going. And just do what you can. The Lord knows you and he knows what you're capable of, and he will make it work for your benefit. Happy summer! 

Ps. I am staying in Pescara with Slla Holiday for another transfer! 

Vi voglio bene!!!! 

Sorella Jarnagin 

image1.JPG
I'm just awkward, okay? Sorella Holiday is HALFWAY! 

image6.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG
#interpretive 

image4.JPG
Judge not, lest ye be judged. ;) my first arrosticini 

image5.JPG

For the Win!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment