Ciao tutti,
This week was quite something I'll tell you that! We had a lot of lows and downs and even lower lows but you know what? It's got to get worse before it can get better. And I always hated that saying, because it sounds as if no hope could possibly be found in it, but there is truth to it, I must admit. We have to pass through that refiner's fire before we can be made into who and what God wants us to be.
I have been continually trying to keep that grateful heart that never falters, just as Nephi had. Although I am nowhere near as mighty or righteous or impactful as Nephi was and is, I am doing my best to be a little better each day. Because I can do hard things! We all can! And after we accomplish them, we must always remember to thank Heavenly Father for giving us that strength to do so. For telling us and showing us by providing a way for us to achieve those great heights we always wish to reach, but sometimes lack the effort necessary to get there. For example, Sorella Holiday and I were doing our morning run up this wildly gruesome hill to a cross on a hill near our house. And we had sweated and did our best to get to the top. Made it. Rested. Run the entire way back down, were only a block from home, when we realized we had left our keys on that cross.
All.
The.
Way.
Up.
There.
And so, somewhat mystified at what had just occurred, we quickly turned back around, sweated and pushed ourselves and made it back up that same hill again, reached the cross once again, and ran back down. And while on the way back down, Sorella Holiday said "remember how you wanted to run it twice this week?" And then we both just laughed. Because that was our goal. And we would not have reached that goal had we not ran it twice that morning.
And this got me thinking... The Lord provides a way for you to meet goals. He does. He provides a way for you to reach the point you want to reach. To reach your divine potential. And maybe, that way, is a little (or a lot) uncomfortable. It's not what you planned for, and it seems tedious. But it is still a way. And that way makes us stronger. More humble. And it helps us look and realize all he does for us everyday for things to make us happy. For things to work out. He has the whole picture. We can only see a few feet ahead, so we must trust him, and not complain or stress or whine about why his way was so hard, when really, it is the most beneficial. He blesses us for following it. Sometimes we just have to open our eyes and see it. Even if it means your legs are twice as sore the next day.
Something else that happened only an hour ish ago. Was, we saw our simp Lavinia who is moving to England tomorrow!! We have been trying to see her to salute her for about four days, but she hasn't been responding, because her phone ran out of credit. So we were just walking after getting off the bus, heading to the church to email, when there she was with her daughter even, who we have been trying and trying to meet as well! And we got to say bye to her and meet her daughter. It was the most tender mercy in the history of ever maybe! We both prayed so hard to see her. But God had just been saving that lovely miracle for us just up ahead.
I know that Heavenly Father hears our prayers. He is not just passively listening, from afar, picking and choosing which prayer to answer. He answers all of them. He is actively listening to every word we utter to him. He does not take our efforts to pray for granted, ever. We are important to him. And so are our pleas. So do not give up. Keep praying. Pour your heart out to him, and he will comfort you, and guide you. He will not make you do it on your own. You cannot do it on your own. You need him. So much. So don't push him away. Keep going. Keep fighting. Don't give up on the one who knows you best. I know there are days when I tell him I can't do it anymore. That if I have to take another step or speak another word of the language I am nowhere near good at, it will be the end. But then he takes my hand and then he picks me up and he carries me through those thorns and over those mountains that I am too weak to climb without him. As long as I am looking to him, he does not ever let me down. But he can't help us if we don't ask. He can't force us to see his hand in our lives. To feel his love. Or to feel his comfort. He can't give us strength without our permission. He cannot and will not violate our agency to choose. So choose Christ. Let him in and he will lift you.
I love this work. And I love being able to help others see the Lord's hand in their life, and feel his love. I love being able to watch others grow, and from that, grow myself.
Alma 26:16 reads:
16 Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel.
I don't think I can ever express how serving a mission has made me feel. I've felt these tiny little shards of God's love for his children, and I have never felt anything purer. I urge everyone to pray, on your knees tonight, and ask to feel of God's love. Not just for you, but for those around you, constantly. I know that if you do this, things will work out for you. You will notice a difference in your life. You will be able to be kinder to those around you and see conflicts dissolve.
I love you all and I hope you all realize how important you are. To God and to me. Now go out there and help others come closer to Christ!! Never stop fighting!
Love,
Sorella Jarnagin
European s'mores. Technically they would be "some mores" if we are being proper about it. This is significant because marshmallows are way super rare here.
Lavinia and Alexandra, our two Romanian miracles!
No comments:
Post a Comment